OUR READING JOURNEY
At St. Patrick’s we believe that reading is the key to success in all areas of learning. We promote enjoyment of reading and look for real opportunities for all of our pupils to participate in Reading Across the Curriculum.
Please encourage your children to read as much as possible at home. Whatever their interest may be, there are so many exciting and enjoyable avenues in reading for them to explore and to then share their reading skills and knowledge with peers within the school.
So, read. Read. And then….. Read a little more!
Click on the links below to see how you can support your child in their fantastic reading journey: a journey that will help them to succeed throughout their lives!
REALLY USEFUL WEBSITES FOR READING
In addition to the reading and responses to reading that your child will be completing throughout their time at St. Patrick’s, the following websites provide some great opportunities for children-and parents- to further develop their learning, and love, of reading.
- BBC Nursery songs A collection of nursery songs from the Early Learning series Listen and Play and Playtime, both of which are currently available on iplayer and as podcasts
- Book Trust Suggested books for children, advice on how to read with your child, book lists, fun games, competitions to win free books, Children's Book Club etc.
- Love Reading Expert recommendations and opening extracts of books.
- Oxford Owl Phonics advice and access to free E-Books. Free to register.
- Pearson Publisher’s website designed to give parents help and advice for reading with children.
- Phonics A useful website featuring free resources for KS1 (and the option of subscribing)
- Read for my school Reading competition for Years 3- 4 featuring a great range of books, including those for the struggling reader.
Others – mainly American, so be aware of different spellings/ pronunciation!